Saturday, June 3, 2017

Peter and Will Anderson - Blues for Joe (GUT STRING RECORDS 2017)



This album of music is dedicated to our longtime friend and private teacher for six years,  saxophonist Joe Temperley.  Joe’s youthful spirit, blunt humor, and strong Scottish accent filled  up the room wherever hewas.  His sound and finesse on the baritone saxophone was unparalleled,  whether he was roaring through Ellington's “Cottontail” or singing sweetly on “Single Petal of a Rose.”  It’s no surprise that Joe was recruited by some of the greatest orchestras in jazz,  including Buddy Rich, Woody Herman, Duke Ellington, and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra.  

"Double trouble!  It always makes my soul smile when I see siblings playing music together. Creating music is such a magical experience, and being able to do it with members of your family makes it even more special.  I also think Peter and Will have the telepathy thing going on because they've got such a cohesive sound.  When I listen to this album “Blues for Joe,” all I have to do is close my eyes and I feel as though I am transported right back to my days with Bird, Coltrane, and Cannonball!  It doesn't get any better than that.  These cats are definitely the future!

Peter and Will, my beloved brothers, big-time props for your awards.  You two deserve every drop.  I was very happy to hook up with both of you on my trip.  You are two beautiful 360 degrees human beings;my favorite kind.  You will take jazz into the future!"  -Quincy Jones, June 2017


Blues for Joe (Peter Anderson)
The Royal Standard (Peter Anderson)
Exceptional Elegance (Will Anderson)
Lush Life (Billy Strayhorn)
Relaxed Beauty (Will Anderson)
Minor Joe (Peter Anderson)
Vitality (Peter Anderson)
Body and Soul (Johnny Green)
The Truth Will Prevail (Will Anderson)
Few and Far Between (Will Anderson)

Peter Bernstein (guitar) 
Pat Bianchi (B-3 Organ) 
Kenny Washington (drums)

Recorded July 31st, 2016 in NYC